The present edition has been thoroughly revised and updated and has been almost completely rewritten. The format and arrangement of different chapters and units has been changed and practically all the diagrams have been redrawn in a clearer and more informative manner. The following are among the main changes introduced in the present edition :
- Complete revision of the unit on ‘Structure of Atom’ including a detailed theory of alpha particle scattering, the discussion of critical potentials and their importance and the Bohr Sommerfeld theory of the atom.
- Complete revision of the unit on the ‘Vector Model of the Atom’, including detailed discussion of the Zeeman effect, the exclusion principle, the Paschen-Beck effect and the Stern-Gerlach experiments.
- Complete revision of the unit on the ‘Particle Properties of Waves’ with a new chapter on ‘Raman Effect’.
- Complete revision of the unit on ‘Wave Nature of Matter’ including a more detailed and complete discussion of the Uncertainty principle and its implications and applications.
- A more detailed and complete discussion on the basic postulates and formalism of quantum mechanics.
- A unitwise discussion on application of quantum mechanism to simple ‘free state’ and ‘bound state’ problems.
- A new unit on the basic properties of nucleus with a more detailed and thorough discussion on the basic simple models of the nucleus.
- A completely new unit on ‘Introductory Statistical Physics’ including a discussion on the basic ideas and formulae of the three statistical distribution laws.
- A thoroughly revised, updated and more detailed discussion on the ‘Theory of Relativity’.
- Considerable editing, pruning and rearrangement of the basics of elementary electronics.
Unit I: Electrical Conduction in Gases; Discharge Tube Phenomenon
Unit II: Cathode Rays
Unit III: Positive Rays and mass Spectrographs
Unit IV: Structure of the Atom
Unit V: The Vector Atom Model
Unit VI: Particle Properties of Waves
Unit VII: Wave nature of Matter
Unit VIII: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
Unit IX: Application of Quantum Mechanics to ‘Free State’ Problems
Unit X: Application of Quantum Mechanics to Bound State Problems
Unit XI: The Nucleus
Unit XII: The Phenomenon of Radioactivity
Unit XIII: Introductory Statistical Physics
Unit XIV: Theory of Relativity
Unit XV: General Features of the Electron Tubes
Unit XVI: Rectifiers and Filters
Unit XVII: Amplifiers
Unit XVIII: Oscillators
Unit XIX: Semiconductors
Unit XX: Radio Communication
Unit XXI: Practical Electronic Devices
9th Revised Edition