To the Sixth Edition
We have great pleasure in presenting the Sixth Revised Edition of Business Law” as per CBCS syllabus of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Osmania Universities for B.Com (Hons), B.Com (General) Semester IV to our esteemed readers. The new edition like predecessors, attempts to present the basic principles of Business Law in a way that makes the subject easily intelligible even to a non-specialist. The book is divided into eight units and the chapters have been grouped under different units.
The salient features of the present edition are as follows:
1. Five new chapters have been added under Unit IV – The Intellectual Property Rights. They are – (i) The Trade Marks Act, 1999; (ii) The Patents Act, 1970; (iii) The Copyright Act, 1957; (iv) The Trade secrets and (v) Geographical Indications.
2. A new chapter on “The Environment Protection Act, 1986” under Unit VI has been added.
3. To improve grasp and understanding of the subject matter more questions like – Objective Type Questions (323); Test Question (174); and Practical Problem [(253) with hints and solutions] have been added.
4. Presentation of Examples (457), Illustrative Cases (126) and Case Study (69) have been highlighted in indention to make it more reader friendly.
5. A new typography of the book makes the book strain free and reader friendly.
We acknowledge with gratitude the help received from scholars, friends and well-wishers at the various stages of preparation of this Edition. Suggestions are invited to further improve the book. Kindly share your views at email@example.com.
Unit I – The Indian Contract Act, 1872
2. Nature of Contract
3. Offer and Acceptance
5. Capacity to Contract
6. Free Consent
7. Legality of Object
8. Void Agreements
9. Contingent Contracts
10. Performance of Contract
11. Discharge of Contract
12. Remedies for Breach of Contract
Unit II – The Sale of Goods Act, 1930
13. Sale of Goods
14. Conditions and Warranties
15. Transfer of Property
16. Performance of Contract
17. Rights of an Unpaid Seller
Unit III – The Consumer Protection Act, 1986
18. The Consumer Protection Act, 1986
Unit IV – The Intellectual Property Rights
19. The Trade Marks Act, 1999
20. The Patents Act, 1970
21. The Copyright Act, 1957
22. Trade Secrets
23. Geographical Indications
Unit V – The Information Technology Act, 2000
24. The Information Technology Act, 2000
Unit VI – The Environnment Protection Act, 1986
25. The Environment Protection Act, 1986
Unit VII – Management of Companies and Meetings
26. Appointment of Directors
27. Meetings of Board and its Powers
Unit VIII – Winding Up
28. Removal of Names of Companies from the Register of Companies
29. Winding Up
30. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016
University Question Papers
Sixth Revised Edition